January 26, 2011

opinions needed: frames for the famous

I'm sure you all remember the hulaballoo I went through getting myself a desk, and the work that my dad and I put into the one I have now...

A while ago, I found 7 wonderful, fantastic, terrific prints on Etsy that I talked about in this post. They came in the mail a few days ago, and now I'm trying to settle on HOW and WHAT to use to frame them. This is what my workspace currently looks like:


I really like the chalkboard and the two framed pictures, but am open to taking the PICTURES down. The chalkboard stays. My issue is that I thought all 7 prints were going to be 5 x 7, but two ended up coming in at 8 x 10:

I really love the way the white frames look against the grey paint in the room (see, ladies? I told you it was d-a-r-k grey!), but I'm not sure that the white frames will look great with the off-white paper they printed the images above on. SO...

I have frames around the house, frames like this one:

So here's my dilemma:

  1. Should I paint the frames white, or should I paint the frames to match the desk?
  2. Should I take down the photos and replace them with 2 of the smaller quotes, and then stretch the two 8 x 10s and the remaining 3 5 x 7s across the top? Or should I keep the photos and randomly arrange the 7 prints above them all?
  3. Should I try to get all matching frames for the prints, or should I just pick up pieces like the one above and a few random others and paint them all the same color to coordinate?

My initial thought was to keep the photos, buy mismatched frames for the prints and arrange them over the desk. I can't decide what to paint them. Then I thought if I painted them like the desk, I should buy wooden frames and sand them down. And then when I thought that, I figured they'd all have to match. 

If I were to keep the photos, and use all 7 prints over the top of the photos and the chalk board-- which I have plenty of space to do due to the 9 foot ceilings in there-- I would put each 8 x 10 in larger frames on the end, then I'd put three 5 x 7s across the top, with two centered under them. I don't know if I explained that well, but I think it'd look fine.

I'm kind of lost. I'd like to go looking for frames tomorrow- I want them UP on my wall for next week when my mom and I are starting our first weekly "Grandma takes Liam, Mommy works on her novel" dates. I think the quotes are just the right kind of inspiration for me!

THANKS a million for all the help y'all give. LOVE.

6 kind words:

AM said...

I really like the way that they're laid out right now just on the desk, and I'm afraid if you go with any big sort of frame it'll take away from the prints themselves and just add crazy amounts of clutter on the wall. So if you can find a thin frame that allows you to showcase most of the print that would be a good plan and then take down the pictures :-). I'm not sure about the color. silver might look good, or white. Not anything dark. And I think doing the same color of the desk is too much of that :-). LONGEST COMMENT EVER! Love you!!!

Ashley Brooke Designs said...

1. I like all the frames different and painting them white!
2. I like you taking down the photos putting the 8x10 across!

Hope that helps!!
xoxo- AB

P.S. can't wait to see the finished look!

Mariko said...

The white frames are such a great contrast against the gray wall, but I am not sure about the off-white prints in a white frame.

Perhaps an alternative way to hang that doesn't involve frames? Like this...

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/6/61259/25_2008/2309179843_60fbac7017_b.preview.jpg

or this...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YnI_dEgsJ_s/Rt3uQPVWm-I/AAAAAAAAEXU/gbDzcCsF3lA/s400/Picture+2.png

and mix in the pictures you already have or have the chalkboard be the focal point of the arrangement.

If you are set on frames, I think they should be mismatched, a variety like this...

http://yourhomeonlybetter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/frames-arrangement-ms.jpg

and maybe you could have one large open frame that has a couple of the prints inside...if that makes sense.

And there is more input than your probably wanted!

KJJ Houston said...

I think chalkboard as the focal and then frames in different arragnements around..play with it and see what it looks like. There was a tutorial on this from Brooklyn Limestone - let me see if I can find it.. .or actually if you go to her blog (do you know her blog? If not there is a link on my page) and then email her and ask her for the mutli picture collage tutorial, I promise it will help you before you bang holes into the wall!! Also the way she did it was super cute, so you might get inspirtation from her tutorial! Good luck!

KJJ Houston said...

I found it! http://www.brooklynlimestone.com/2010/03/mail-call-diy-mail-center.html

You could do this with fabric and get some super cute fabric and then just like "paperclip" the prints - any who just an idea but you can always then switch stuff up, during holidays and other time of year to make it different

the glover gang said...

ok i know this wasnt one of your options, but what if you had a bunch of mismatched frames, painted all the same color... like maybe the pale pink you have on your desk...it would look really pretty with the pink and white, but i dont know if you would think it's too much pink.... just a thought!