December 20, 2010

closet confidential

I have a confession.

I have an issue with organizing my closet. It looks like a DISASTER area. But makes perfect sense. (to me)

Similar items must be hung on similar hangers...



and they must hang together. Like my tracksuits.


But not only are they all hung on identical hangers, they're hung in order of purchase.

My pants?

My (1 pair of) dress pants are at the far left, then comes the jeans. Organized by designer. Then my "casual" pants, organized by store. 
Makes no sense?
Think: dress pants, Seven jeans, William Rast jeans, Gap jeans, Gap cords, Anthro cargos. 
Yes?

My "nice" tops?

All the Anthro shirts are on the turquoise hangers. And they're organized from first purchase to most recent purchase. 
And only my Anthro tops are on the turquoise hangers-- all the other shirts, the Urban Outfiters, the WH|BM, the RueLaLa, the Target, the J.Crew all go on whatever holds them up. 

My tanks and sweaters?
(make no sense)

Tanks are organized by color and "designer." Old Navy, Gap, Hollister.
My sweaters? Style. Cardigan, short sleeved tunic, long sleeved tunic. 

My shelves?

Strangely, I try to make the boxes line up so that they're "even"-- they are level on top and equal on the sides. I know- it's weird. And not quite even on the top, which drives me crazy. 

What's worse?

The bottom of my closet is currently Santa headquarters! I have presents stacked high under my sweaters, where I usually have my boots. 

Am I completely crazy? When I try to explain how my closet is organized, it sounds confounding. 
I mean, if I tried, I don't think I could explain the location of anything to anyone.
But I know exactly where everything is.
Exactly where everything goes- including any new purchases. 
Which helps. 

Honestly, this organization method- which is lacking- might fall to the wayside. My college closet was organized two ways:
T-shirts in rainbow color order.
"nice shirts" in rainbow color order. 
Period. 
I love a good rainbow. 

3 kind words:

NancyS said...

Gotta love an organized closet. Saw a show with Rob Kardashian organizing his shirts by color in his closet and his live-in at the time thought it was weird. Well, hello, all of my stuff is organized by color, too. Doesn't everybody do that? haha

AM said...

hey it's better than mine! It's a huge mess :-)

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

This organizing by date of purchase thing is really making sense to me! Thanks for the idea. = )