November 12, 2010

let me explain (& rebut)

I asked for a raincheck, and you all granted it, so I feel like it's only time to explain our Halloween costumes!

I hinted about who I wanted us to be back in July...
and I even discussed the gentlemen we dressed as back in September...

So if you're good at clues, and familiar with your BBC, you would realize that we were The Doctor from the BBC craze, Doctor Who!

Doctors 10 and 11, respectively.


My other carseat is in the TARDIS.
Even Liam's in the Doctor Who spirit.
(Time And Relative Dimension In Space. TARDIS, see below, blue box)
I talked Zach into being the 10th Doctor. Honestly, it took about three seconds. It's a swell costume! We even bought the sonic screwdrivers for our respective Doctors:

I instantly knew I wanted to be the 11th Doctor. I big-puffy-red-heart him. I had SO. MUCH. FUN. putting this costume together, I still go into my closet and feel a giddy pitter-patter when I see my Paul Smith shirt. You guys have NO idea how crazy the quest for my burgundy PS Paul Smith was.


Granted, I have to tell you, I realize that this all seems INCREDIBLY nerdy/geeky/dorky.
But folks, I love this show, and my sweet husband does too.
SO say what you like, I LOVE our costumes and we plan on wearing them for a long time!!




Do you guys remember this photo?

I posted it the day my shirt for my costume came, and I received the damn stupidest anonymous comment on the blog about it. After sharing with my husband, he said I absolutely had to post it and "discuss."

In general, I usually disregard negative comments on my blog, but I have to tell you, I do NOT take well to accusations or name-calling, so...
(unedited for grammar or spelling, though I hate seeing mistakes in both on my blog!)


I cannot believe youre actually proud of this costume!!! In this day in age, your acutally going to dress up in such a racist, insensitive cosutme and its disgusting. Are you trying to offend muslims? Are you trying to offend Christians? Are you trying to offend EVERYONE? I would think that someoen who talks about how wonderful their education was would know that in these troubled times, its unexcuseable for someone to so blatently try to offend people who already hate us!!!! I am disgusted. 
-Anonymous.

      SO. Cue rebuttal.
My costume IS. NOT. RACIST. I was dressed as a popular TV character. Granted, it's a TV character that isn't popular in the US, but a TV character nonetheless. The Doctor character is anything but insensitive. He doesn't carry a gun, he doesn't create conflict, he creates NO controversy. Beyond who I dressed as, I  am going to assume that you are calling my costume insensitive because of the fez, because I cannot fathom where else you could divine racist out of the image I posted (Unless you're going to argue that my being female and wearing men's clothing is insensitive...). There is nothing racist about an article of clothing- our preconceived notions and stereotypes create the insensitivity. Why did you even bring religion into it? There isn't even a basis for that. I put on a fez because I needed somewhere to hide all my hair and because Matt Smith wore one in the last episode of Season 5. End of story.
I also would ask that before you insult my education-- which I don't believe I talk about often-- you take care to evaluate your own. I do not appreciate the insinuation that my education has been sub-par. Texas A&M is a highly respected university, and the mandatory schools I attended (with few exceptions) were all very good, highly rated schools. I am actually quite blessed to have been given a very good education, which I am thankful for.
Lastly, I believe that if ANYONE has an understanding for the way Americans are perceived by the rest of the world, it would be me. I spend most of my mandatory education in foreign countries. I went to school with people of other races, religions, nationalities and cultures. I have had Finnish, Danish, Turkish, Nigerian, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Maori, Australian, Norwegian, English, Scottish, Irish, Polish, Canadian, Brazilian, South African friends. I have seen our country and our image through the eyes of these people, and I can safely tell you, I know, beyond a shadow of a doubt, what about us offends the rest of the world, and it's not going to be my dressing up as a popular, well loved character.

But please, feel free to comment on my blog as often as you like. :)



Image Sources: {10th Doctor} {11th Doctor} {11th Doctor & River Song}

8 kind words:

Artsy Fartsy said...

You go, girl!

KJJ Houston said...

omg I cant believe someone posted that!! Glad you posted and talked about it. Sometimes I would say its not worth geting mad about, but in this case I would be fuuuuuuuming!

I think they were great costumes!

AM said...

PLUS if you're judging by the HAT, don't you think you have a few more problems than that? Cause I do.

Sorry I needed to rebut as well. LOL I love YOU and I love your costumes, and someday I will try to love Dr. Who, though I make no promises :-). Miss you to PIECES!!!

Ivy said...

I think y'all looked awesome! That comment made no sense..? I don't watch bbc but from the pics it looks like y'all did a super job!!!

Kristen Kelley said...

Um, ok, I'm just confused because I seriously don't understand where anybody could possibly call that costume racist. Especially just from looking at that one picture. I do, however, really enjoy how people hide behind the "Anonymous" name when they want to say something stupid and ridiculous. So good job, mean-spirited commenter, for at least giving me a good chuckle! And I think your costumes we adorable! :)

Anonymous said...

Fat lot of brain cells that one has eh? You and Zach looked amazing; I wish I could have been there personally. Doctor Who rules and is seriously better than most of the filth on American TV.
-Love always,
Your Baby Brother

P.S. Fezzes are cool!

Mom said...

Wow, that comment sounds a lot like the nasty comment you got regarding Liam's birthday party and your adorable decorations. I'll bet the same person posted it. Obviously, a person with issues in their own life. And it looks like someone needs a grammar lesson. I certainly hope they're not a school teacher! Oh, and proof-reading would be good. HaHaHa!

Stephanie Marie said...

You two looked so cute in your costumes! Sorry someone had to rain on your parade :( I am so curious as to what they thought you two were dressing up as... what a strange thing for them to say!