August 10, 2010

fangbanger.

For the life of me, I had no idea it had been almost a week since I posted. Have I been EXTRAORDINARILY busy? No. Not really.

So what HAVE I been doing?
-reading-

Since Christmas Day, I have had Dead Until Dark on my Kindle.
Aside: Chide me not, oh lovers of paper page books. My Kindle keeps me reading- I love a bound spine and feathery paper as much as any avid reader, but it's so much easier to tote my Kindle places, and their Whispernet connectivity ensures that where ever I am, whenever I need it, I can get a new book like *that.* It's the best thing E-V-E-R. Besides, I quite literally gave myself a vision impairment because I read so much, so the Kindle's ability to make the printed words larger is excellent for me.
It was my first download, as I was enthusiastic about picking up the novels that my 2nd favorite TV show is based on, but I never started reading it. Well, I lie. I read the first chapter or two and turned my attention to other things-- I was a little wary of Harris' writing style. Very abrupt, very concise, not a lot of descriptive paragraphs, maybe too much internal mulling over. Get me?

Anyway, not this Sunday just passed, but the one before, I was all atwitter after the airing of the new True Blood episode, so I decided I'd go ahead and try picking the books back up so I could get ahead of the show and figure out what was going on...
and I've been reading every chance I get since then. I'm currently on the 9th book- with only the 10th and Short Story compilation yet to read. Yes, 9 books in as many days and I'm just angry at myself right now because I could be reading instead of blogging. Sad-- but true. The quicker I read these last few books, the sooner I can move on and accomplish something.


I gotta say, though... the books have cemented me as a thorough fan-- and I'm rapidly becoming disappointed in the show. Not that I don't still love it-- but COME ON, HBO!! I was SO HAPPY when Sookie (seriously, what a name!) broke it off with Bill in this most recent episode because he's an effing putz. Yes, I am firmly anti-Bill. And then? By the end of the episode I have to hear "God Dammit, Bill Compton, I love you," AGAIN. I'm so mad at the two main characters on the show, I could just about scream. I might have screamed curse words Sunday night- it's very likely. I have a hard time liking characters who are continually, blindly, irrationally stupid. Which Sookie is. HOWEVER, I am such a fan of Eric, Pam, Lafayette, Jason, Sam and Alcide (who's going to be a series regular, Woot WHOO!)-- and Franklin, Russell and Talbot-- that I can continue to watch the show. I just go back and watch it later, fast forwarding through Bill the buffoon, Sookie the doormat and Tara the perpetually screwed.

Anyway, I swear to you all, in a couple of days, I'll be done with my reading and I'll be back to running to Target, taking a gratuitous number of pictures nobody cares to see and generally being normal. You know.


But then, my order of Tru Blood will come in the mail and I'll have to post photos if it in the fridge. Because the pleasure I'll get out of it will be immense.

3 kind words:

The Sturgeon Family said...

OK, we have so much in common, it's weird. I FRIGGIN LOVE True Blood. Last Summer, I read all 10 books in the span of about a month. They are amazing and so addicting. I am also a little disappointed with the season- when is Sookie going to realize that Eric is the hot vampire and drop Bill? Whatever. And I am so over Tara it's not even funny.
Glad to see I'm not the only obsessed fan!

AM said...

That's the second time I've heard about these books. I should read them?

Mrs. Shuler said...

Oh my gosh, I am in love with these books!!! I was so sad when I finished the last one :( I'm also disappointed in this season of the show, the first 2 were so much better and they aren't going along with the books as well as I think they should. I'm really thinking about reading the series all over again! On another note, I made my first Sprinkles trip about a week ago...and now I crave them! Chocolate coconut is my favorite! Hope you're doing well!