August 4, 2010

waste not, want not

This is my desk:
And I hate it. It's small, crowded and doesn't really function for me anymore. I am constantly appalled at my complete lack of workspace, and pretty darn sick of it. I tried to make it more "me" by painting the white parts aqua, but that only was able to help so much.

This is Shiner's Nook:
It's what would have been the entrance to the room, had we opted to make the office a 4th bedroom instead. It's a complete and total waste of space.

You see?


Here is what I want:



I may be ignorant (and apparently, stupid, since I misspelled accessories. I only write it all the time... dumb) but I really think that it'd be a selling feature in the future. Zach pointed out that not everyone will want a small desk in the corner, but I argue that even if you want a large desk in the middle of the room- which we hope to do one day- you can still use shelving in the nook for a fax machine, a place to keep a phone, some books, a printing station... you get my drift. It'd be multi-purpose.

And I want this desk chair:
... in pink, of course.

And I want to display these things:





... with the exception of all the green stuff- that's all left over from Valerie's shower.

I don't think it'd take a lot of work-- I figure I could honestly get it all done in a weekend- if I had my dad's help. I need a place that's my own, that's functional and workable and makes me feel inspired. I have GOT to get myself some work space before I settle down to DO work because it's impossible as we have our office now. If my desk top is bad, Zach's is a billion times worse- The only free space on it is about 3/4 of a foot, square.

Zach's biggest argument? Not the cost, or the work (because let's face it, it wouldn't cost a whole lot to build at all) or the fact that I'd be disturbing things in the "man cave" for X amount of time... it's that "then where would Shiner's cage go? She's so accustomed to her corner."

Gah. She can have my desk space, I can have her cage space- we can play swappy swappy and everyone will be happy. Well, I would be.


:::BY THE WAY:::
THANK YOU to all you sweet ladies-- Lauren, Kate, Kristen, Ashley, Mandy-- for your support after my last post: It's certainly no fun to get hateful things said to you, but you all made me feel so much better! I'm truly awed and humbled by how supportive you all were-- a million, million thanks!!


All for now: Ashley- - updated just for you!
Zach's going to be home in a minute and I have to go get Mr. Man out of his crib-- we're going to spend the evening GROCERY SHOPPING. You all envy me, I know....

5 kind words:

the tichenor family said...

I love, love, love this idea. I am so majorly impressed by your drawings and hope that your hubby says YES to the desk! Can't wait to see the transformation.

xoxo

AM said...

you make me super happy :-)

Kristen Kelley said...

Ahhh such a great idea!! I think you could easily get that done! I couldn't think of a better use of that area... you're right, it is just wasted space. Maybe you could install the shelves by putting brackets on the walls, so that they are adjustable. That way future owners could move them for their own stuff. Besides, everybody loves built-ins. I'm all about happy office space- mine is my favorite room in the house. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it completed! :)

Stephanie Marie said...

So fun!! You should definitely do it, it would be a great little space and I agree that it will continue to be functional down the line.

Sorry for my lack of commenting but you know I'm always reading! That pesky new job is cramping my style :)

Anonymous said...

maybe suggest to Zach he goes away with his mates for the weekend and whilst he is away just make the change and SURPRISE! when he gets home????? i think your plans sound great :)
Lauren