Shockingly
(and I do mean shockingly)
I didn't see anything this week that I haven't seen before.
Nothing new.
I know. What's going on?
However, I've decided that on weeks where I don't have anything wonderful and new to post about, I'm going to feature movies I think are worth mentioning. Mostly, that means I'm going to highlight a classic film that I love.
Once in a while, it'll be something that really bears recommending (ie Wild Target or Pan's Labyrinth).
Be looking for those two titles featured in future.
TONIGHT, however, we're going to talk about one of my all time favorite movies, from the great George Cukor.
(1939)
I LOVE this movie.
The ingenious thing about this film is that there are NO MEN in it at all. No shots of them on the street as the ladies pass, no male drivers, no husbands seen, NO MEN AT ALL.
But.
The film is, in its own way, all about men.
It's just genius.
Pure, wonderful, amazing genius.
The main three stars are Norma Shearer (center), Joan Crawford (left) and Rosalind Russell (right).
I am no huge fan of Shearer, and I think Joan Crawford is one of the most despicable women ever (remember that movie Mommie Dearest? Oh yeah- she IS the ACTUAL Mommie Dearest. Freaking psycho!). BUT. Rosalind Russell is a complete comic genius in this film. And the supporting cast is wonderful. I love Paulette Goddard as Miriam and Joan Fontaine (Olivia de Havilland's little sister! And the star of the Hitchcock classic Rebecca!) as Peggy. They're wonderful, and Marjorie Main as Lucy is just too funny.
Interestingly, this movie has been remade twice.
Once in 1956, when they made it a musical, added MEN to the cast and renamed it The Opposite Sex.
That movie is a disaster. From start to finish, and it doesn't help that I'm supposed to feel for June Allyson when all she does in every movie she's ever made is made me want to scratch out both my ears and my eyes. Just can't decide which first.
The SECOND remake was in 2008. They changed up the dynamic of the women, kept the cast all female (with one STUPID exception) and kept the original title.
This movie is also a travesty. Of course, Meg Ryan does Mary Haines NO service, and they took Rosalind Russell's funny, catty Sylvia Folwer and turned her into Annette Bening, who just feels aawwwwwful about everything. I really, truly, hate this movie. I'm offended by this movie.
Truthfully, the original 1939 film stands the test of time. And it is perfect. These two remakes are terrible because the original cannot be improved upon. It's like trying to remake The Wizard of Oz or Casablanca. It cannot be done. It should not be done.
Oh. And if you're dying for Mary and Sylvia's Jungle Red nails- Nars has some! I'm ordering as soon as it's back in stock on Sephora. Yes. I will tell everyone too.
SO. IF your husband has gone to bed early, or if he's out of town, find a way to rent this movie. Or DVR it the next time they run it on TCM.
I doubt you'll be disappointed.


1 kind words:
I loooooove you!
Post a Comment