Cinephile Saturday is actually ON Saturday this week. WHOOP!
Tonight, all 5 of the Clarks (I'm including my in-laws!) went to see Cars 2 at the Alamo. Shocking. I know.
(as I write this post, I'm diverted by Jonah Hex on my TV. It's a God-awful, terrible movie. But my goodness, i will watch a horrible movie to watch Michael Fassbender. ESPECIALLY as hot as he is in this one. Moving on... oh. le *sigh*)
I have to say, I'm hugely biased towards the Cars films.
I myself happen to be a car racing fan ...
or.
Rather, I'm a Formula 1 fan.
Regardless, I like car racing. I watch car racing.
So the Michael Schumacher Ferrari cameo in the first one? I quite literally squealed in the theatre and jumped half way out of my seat.
I did have a squeal and jump and yelp moment in this one too, taking place right at the beginning. We will get to that momentarily.
Not shockingly, this sequel was NOT as good as the first. Hubs thought it felt like just a money grab. Sadly, I must say I was a little disappointed that the racing element was much more limited. Of course, they still have plenty of those references, and more so for F1 fans this time around. Which I'll explain in a sec. Regardless, I enjoyed the film. I enjoyed all the car trivia and the little things that make the movies so fun for people who just enjoy automobiles (right here, TopGearHead!).
My favorite part, though, were the cameos.
Namely, Crabby the Fishing Vessel, Lewis Hamilton and David Hobbscap.
David Hobbscap was voiced by David Hobbs, who is a former F1 driver and a current F1 commentator. I watch him on Sundays on Speed. I recognized his voice as soon as he started talking, and just don't think they could have picked a more perfect car to represent him. He's awesome.
Lewis Hamilton is a current F1 driver and a past F1 World Champion. He drives for McLaren-Mercedes right now and is a prat. Don't you love that Disney & Pixar even gave the car Lewis' actual little tooth gap? I recognized that car right off. I knew Lewis had done a voice for the movie, so I wasn't shocked to see him.
Crabby? Oh, Crabby was my jump and squeal moment. I recognized him the instant that FV flashed white. It's the FLIPPING NORTHWESTERN from Zach's favorite TV show (and one of mine, I must admit!) Deadliest Catch. And not only that!? It was VOICED by the Captain of the FV Northwestern, Sig Hansen himself. Yes, I flipped out. Squealed. Upset my child. Incoherently babbled to my husband while giggling and pointing at the screen. Mostly, I was ecstatic because the Hansen brothers (Sig, pictured, Edgar and Norman) are my FAVORITES on Deadliest Catch, and the they're Norwegian. You know how much love I have in my heart for Norwegians.
SO.
All in all, I think moms won't be bored when they take their kids to this movie.
I think a lot of them won't get the joy out if it that I do.
I thought that about the first film, too, though.
I guess I just love my Cars.
P.S. If ANYONE finds a Diecast version of any of the above 3 vehicles I posted, I will pay you back for it :) I must have them.
{image sources: poster, crabby, car lewis, car david, real david, fvnorthwestern, sig, real lewis, mclarenf1}









2 kind words:
you CRACK me up! and I'm the same way with horrible movies, which is why I watch Van Helsing :-)
saw Cars 2 on Monday, which of course, we were beyond excited for. I felt like it was a huge disappointment-- not even on the same radar as the first one. I don't think Carson enjoyed it much either. He has hardly mentioned it since we went. I think it went way over his head. PLUS I felt like there was a whole sub-plot happening with the gas/alternative fuel thing going on. C'mon folks, it's a kids movie. No need for political undertones. We'll stick with good ole Cars at our casa!
Post a Comment