May 30, 2011

cinephile saturday (+2 days)

Inaugural CINEPHILE SATURDAY post!

Woot woot!

It's two days late because I didn't realize it would be a Saturday post at first, and secondly because I knew we'd be going to the movies today.


I liked what I was ABLE TO WATCH of this. 
(no rant on EnTouch, promise)
I like Alex Pettyfer, thought the Glee chick was a little whiney. Oh, and I'm a fan of the Timothy Olyphant. Dunno why, just like him.
All in all, I felt like this was aimed at the tween crowd. There were scenes in it that were just "cool for coolness' sake." It was fun.

*** THOR ***
I would say THIS has been my favorite movie of the summer (so far). 
I lurved this movie. I love Kenneth Branagh and I think he did a WONDERFUL job directing this film. 
{insert visions from Much Ado About Nothing here}
I love Chris Hemsworth. Oh hello, he's GORGEOUS and SO funny!
I love Stellan. I WISH that Stellan's son (helllloooooo ERIC!) had been cast as Thor, but it's all good.
I cannot say enough about this movie. I'm pumped for it to come out on Blu-Ray and I know it'll be one Liam and I watch over and over and over again.
Oh- and I would totally let him watch this because the language isn't bad, there's no sex, nothing gory or bloody. It's won-der-freaking-ful.

*** PRIEST ***
 We watched this while the rest of the US was watching Bridesmaids. 
This movie is JUST what Zach and I love in a film.
It's a pure action movie based on a graphic novel. 
It stars Paul Bettany (I love), Cam Gigandet (I lurve) and Karl Urban (I luuuuuurve). 
Also, BEYALL makes an appearance, as does Phil Collins' daughter.
And Maggie Q. Who's arguably the most under utilized gorgeous Asian lady in movies.
If you like VAMPIRES (not "vaaaaampires") and action, post-apocalyptic stuff, you'll enjoy this.
We're totally gonna buy it. 
And we'll watch it regularly.
It's totally a Blu-Rayer.

*** IP MAN 2 ***
This is the sequel to a fantastic movie.
I resisted the HELLO out of the first one, but really, really enjoyed it. 
This one wasn't dubbed, it was in Mandarin and had English subtitles, which cut down on the distraction factor. The story is good, Bruce Lee makes an "appearance," and it is refreshing to see the a$$hole characters not be American for a change. 
If you like Kung Fu movies, you will absolutely LOVE this.
If your man is into Kung Fu movies, he will talk about this for days.
I liked it, Zach loved it, I'd recommend it to people who don't have an anti-foreign film stigma. 


 *** KUNG FU PANDA 2 ***
The most recent film we've seen, this was pretty darn good as sequels go.
It's NOT as good as the first.
If you haven't seen the first, you need to. It's so, so, so, so good. 
I have all the words memorized.
This really continued the story in a nice way, it wasn't a random forcing of a story that had a solid ending. I loved the family dynamic of the story line and it was fun to see the Five and Po back in action. I was a little disappointed there wasn't more Shifu, since he's one of the best parts of the first film. And Dustin Hoffman's such a hoss. 
It's good, great for kids (L sat through MOST of it) and has a good moral. I think Kung Fu Panda (and its sequel) rival anything Pixar has going. And THIS is from a Disney PURIST. 

I'm a Pirates junkie. Like, when we go to Disney World, I geek out big time. Our favorite picture from our honeymoon is with "Jack Sparrow" in front of the ACTUAL Flying Dutchman.
Pirates GEEK. 
But this one is FANTASTIC.
It's better than the second and the third, easily. 
I got REALLY tired of the Elizabeth/Will story line, so having them gone was just dandy in my book. Also, Barbossa was in the movie- and if you know me, you know I love me some Captain Barbossa.
Zach appreciated that they gave the gentleman folk some better eye candy in this one.
Also, we loved that Jack was more the Jack from the first movie. This is just... really good.
It doesn't rely as heavily on computer generated enemies, so the acting can really show through. It's not gimmicky, it's just so good. So good.
And who wouldn't be thrilled with two hours of wild abandon?
{part of what made this movie going experience so great was that we saw it at the Alamo Drafthouse, and they played Michael Bolton's Digital Short beforehand. IF you don't know what I'm talking about (besides me worrying about what planet you live on), you need to google that}




Kay, I officially LOVE Cinephile Saturdays.
It makes me feel like I'm being a little constructive with my movie loving self.
BEWARE!
We're seeing Hangover 2 tomorrow, so that'll be on the blog on Saturday coming.

There will be many, many, many an update in this category this summer. We're eagerly awaiting Cowboys & Aliens, Captain America, X Men: First Class, The Green Lantern, Cars 2, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Bad Teacher, Conan the Barbarian and Fright Night (David. Tennant. People. DAVID TENNANT.)
See? We are SUCH movie dorks.


And yes, if you haven't seen The Hangover, get your arse to iTunes and rent the sh*t out of it. You won't regret it. 

1 kind words:

Chelsei B said...

lovelovelove this post!!! I cannot wait to see pirates and the hangover 2!