December 6, 2010

i *heart* ikea

Here we go! 
Day TWO!

I am cheating a little bit- using photos I emailed myself from my phone. Forgive the quality. Enjoy the cute.

Thursday last, my mom and I ventured waaaaaay down I-10 to Ikea. 
We both l-o-v-e Ikea. 
I think a good portion of the reason we love Ikea so much is that it reminds us of Norway. And the aesthetic in Norway- the Scandinavian aesthetic. We're very comfortable and used to it, and so in some way, a trip to Ikea is like a trip to Norway.
(I was very happy there.)

We decided to make the trip because I started browsing their website, searching for their holiday decor, and lost my mind over their holiday cookie cutters and a few of the traditional Scandinavian decor. 
I had to have a straw goat. No two ways about it.
And the cookie cutters had to be mine. 

For those of you who have never been, when you first walk into Ikea, the first thing you see is an escalator/stairs/elevator combo. You go UP first. This is the "display" floor. Here you can see mock rooms set up with all their furniture, textiles, lighting, accessories... you find pencils and list paper all over the place, so you can mark down the bin numbers of the items you want. The children's section is also on this floor, and has some truly great stuff. Hello, art easel for under $20!
Anyway, after you've wound your way through the display floor, you end up at the cafe, and another flight of stairs. Here you head down into the part of the store where all the *stuff* is. You literally wind your way through comforters, fabric, anything you could ever need or want for a kitchen, toys, office supplies (not pens, but boxes, bins...), garden treasures, art, and so on and so forth. After this part of the store, you come to the racks where the furniture pieces are in their boxes for you to find and pick up. Then as you head to check out, you come upon a few rows of seasonal items. 
Literally, best store ever

Anyway- when we arrived (after I lingered outside the door to smell the amazing Christmas trees. Honestly- if we ever do live again, I am buying there because their trees SMELLED) we sat Liam in one of their makeshift bag carts and rode the elevator up. The first thing we saw when we stepped off were two big bins of funny  hats.
Liam proceeded to wear this one throughout the store:


Cracked me up. We definitely had to purchase that. But since it's Ikea, nothing costs very much. Like, I found a wreath I wanted, but at $20, I was aghast at the price. Which really, isn't much. 

Anyway, I won't bore you with pictures of our purchases, partially because I want to show you the cookie cutters in action, not in box. :)

So not only was my Thursday great because we went to Ikea, but we also stopped for lunch in Bunker Hill on our way home:


They're right. It's not normal to love a restaurant that much. 
Oh Freebirds, how do I love thee? Let me count the ways! 

There we go! Happy Monday, friends. 
I will be back tomorrow with more Clark-y goodness.

3 kind words:

AM said...

Love it! can't wait to see all the cute things you got!!!

the tichenor family said...

Oh goodness, I am now EVEN MORE ready to make my debut trip to Ikea. Sounds like I will love it.

And... I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Freebirds. I ate it like it was MY JOB when I was pregnant with Carson!

Stephanie Marie said...

What a fun outing! There is an Ikea not even 5 minutes from our apartment but I only go when I have someone to accompany me... there is too much for me to go alone! But my mom helped me find some gorgeous silver candle holders not too long ago :) Liam is too cute in his little hat!

And I've already expressed my jealous that you had Freebirds... miss it SO much!