October 25, 2008

friday is best spent shopping!

I had a wonderfully enjoyable day! I got up *somewhat* early this morning and got out the door in time to be at my Momma's house before she got home from work around noon. The morning drive was a-mazing. I got stuck at first on Hwy. 6 behind two cars driving the same speed-- five under-- right next to each other. Also, one was expelling the most noxious cloud of smoke from his tailpipe and it made me sad. But other than that? I flew down 359 because every time I'd be coming up on somebody driving slow, before I could reach them, they'd turn off the main road. It was... insane. I've never had such an easy drive.



So we girls spent the day shopping. We went to lunch first at Panera Bread. I love that place, they make the most wonderful tuna salad, and since we don't have one here, it's always such a treat. Can you believe there's not a Panera to be found for fifty miles around here? It's not fair. Anyway, I love it. Yum. Then we headed to my favorite clothing store down on Westheimer and played around in there. I love showing my Mom the stuff in there that I like because she likes it all too! It's all a little funky, a little quirky, very nice and youthful and at the same time in NO way sleazy at all. Very nice, because I think there's nothing sadder than a twenty-something trying to dress like she's still in high school. Time to move on. Anyway- I got my pretty pink sweater I'd been coveting and left quite content. I could have easily spent thousands, I think! We jumped next door to Williams Sonoma and we found the cutest pancake moulds for Christmas Day. I'm really, really sad I won't get to have my Mom's insanely yummy buttermilk pancakes in the shape of Santa's head on Christmas morning. It's just not fair. I blame the Vet School.



Then we headed back into Sugar Land and hit the mall and the Halloween Express. We spent way too much time and money at the Yankee Candle store, but it was fun doing-- I got a great bat silhouette that's a pretty good size for fifty percent off! Woo Hoo! I hung it from my "kitchen" chandelier. I wanted it inside. We got lots of candles, and wax tarts and yummy smells for the upcoming holiday seasons and all in all, that was a success. Then we went to Pottery Barn. I must say first, I love Pottery Barn's accents, and some of their furniture has really awesome contemporary lines with kind of traditional fabrics in fun colors, which I love. Some of their stuff is too traditional for my taste, but some of it's just funky enough. Last year I picked up the CUTEST danged Christmas ornaments: 2 Polar Bears made out of like, bristle brush or something. So freaking cute. I think I actually might have the penguin too. Now that I think of it. I originally thought I'd gotten two bears, but maybe I have the penguin. Well, we'll find out after Thanksgiving! Anyway, I went in today and they had a Chipmunk. Oh yes, it came home with me. And no, it won't be going away after Christmas. They've actually got the dimensions up on their website for three other animals too: the fox, the raccoon and the squirrel. I'm hoping they're out soon. So adorable.



In all, what fun! I was successful in finding a cane for my Halloween costume. I'm being Willy Wonka- but please, not Johnny Depp's Willy Wonka. I am being the Willy Wonka that Gene Wilder made so wonderfully eccentric. The movie's a classic, I worship Gene Wilder's humor and I can't wait to rag my hair up and make it frizzy and part it over my ear and pin it up into his shape. Oh yeah, and I ONLY bought Willy Wonka candy to hand out this year. I doubt I'll be working the "walk awkwardly with a cane and then pretend to stumble and turn a somersault" but, I'll have the cane at least. I so love that movie, and can you believe it's so incredibly hard to find on DVD? I had to settle for Corpse Bride. I know, what?

Finally, I have to say this: I hate Katy. I'm sorry Mr. Nance, and Mr. Landrum (both Cinco Ranch High kids!) but I can NOT stand Katy. Why? Two words: GRAND PARKWAY. I hate that danged road cutting through the middle of everything, I hate that you have to get on and off to get anywhere and I hate the traffic. I sat maybe 200 yards from the I-10 underpass for fifteen minutes this evening because apparently, in Katy, it's very difficult for people to read "U TURN AHEAD" signs so they just run up in the u-turn lane and then realize, oh duh, I'm supposed to be going the other way. Oops. I don't care if I find my dream house next summer, if it's in Katy, I'll call it a loss and move on. You could not pay me enough to live there. Ugh. And so, that made the last part of my day pretty unpleasant. But whatever, when we move back, I'll find every way possible to avoid that area. Unless, of course, my sweet Norway friends are all living there!

post signature

0 kind words: