June 4, 2011

cinephile saturday: hangover II


Lordy, I love me some Hangover.

I went into the theatre not expecting to love The Hangover Part II as much I did the first one, and I was more than pleasantly surprised. 
Of course, I was going in knowing my favorite character is an ancillary character...
(I'd heard many a lady complain that Doug-oh-Dougy-Doug-Doug didn't get enough screen time, but to be honest, I think he was in the sequel more than the first one!)


Regardless of the Bartha factor, the movie was really, really funny. 
I have a serious soft spot for Thailand (holla! favorite vacation ever!), so I was already loving the location of the sequel more than the original.

That being said, the format is pretty much verbatim from the first film, but it works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it and I'm glad they didn't tinker with it. 
The song Stu sings is definitely funnier in the first one, but "Living Here in Allantown" was definitely giggle-inducing. Plus? The Tyson cameo? Classic.  
I think if you haven't seen the first, rent it before you go to see this one. I think it makes the second one funnier, when you already know what they went through in the first one. Also, you'll understand more of the backstory and the dynamic between Mr. Chow, Allan, Stu and Phil (and Mike Tyson). I think that's important for this film.

Having said that. I'll definitely buy this. 
We have The Hangover on DVD, and when this comes out, I'll probably buy the Blu-Ray 2-pack that they'll inevitably put out, knowing suckers like me are ready to eat it up.

Also, 2/5 of my Freebie Five are in the film. What's not to love?


sources{h2, doug}

1 kind words:

Anonymous said...

Haha loved the review- loved the movie too! but am wondering who your freebie five are???
Lauren
x