November 7, 2008

last day at home

Just to get a few things out of the way first... For weeks, Cory, Lindsay and Brad have been telling me I can customize my facebook to determine who can see what on my profile and I just figured it out today! Hooray me! Lindsay will be proud of me, for finally figuring it out!



So I'm working on figuring out Christmas presents before a) the stores are picked over and b)Internet prices get jacked up. The last present I bought didn't go over very well, even though I'd spent one heck of a time trying to find the right gift, had ordered it about two months in advance and was very proud of myself and thought it was a wonderful idea. Apparently, I was wrong. So. I'm trying to do better with people at Christmas. I have Zach finished. I told the Mommas what I got him and they're both convinced I couldn't have done better. Zach always wants a hint, and instead of a hint, it's more a riddle, because that's what Aunt Darlene always did for him. So I told him:
It usually comes as a pair, but you are only getting one.
I thought that was pretty good. He wants it to be one of those things that you really can't figure out but makes total sense once he's opened it. I'm trying to get better about giving him hints- he's pretty good. Years of Darlene training, I think.



Tomorrow we tailgate! Tomorrow is the last home game of my college career. Ever. The next time I am in the vicinity of an Aggie football game, I will be an Alumnus. That sucks. I mean, it's about that time, but at the same time, I really do love it here, and I love Aggie Football. Even when we stink, because when it comes down to it, it doesn't matter to me whether or not we're the best in the big 12 or the worst (cause we're neither, thanks) because I so love my school and I so love my football team. I know it sounds snide, but I love that my degree is from one of the two flagship universities from the greatest state in the union. I love that my university has integrity and class, strong beliefs and character. I love that our former president became the Secretary of Defense. By the way, I want Dr. Gates back. I loved his Affirmative Action policy. I love that Shrek was almost maroon because of how many Ags worked on the film, I love that Pixar has so many Aggie animators they've dubbed them the "Aggie Mafia." I love the "saw 'em off" in Troy... I love my Aggie ring. I am finally realizing that my time here is quickly coming to an end. I see that light, and it's getting bigger and bigger and I just don't want it to. There's something in being here that doesn't make me feel vulnerable. I know when I'm in town and when I'm on campus, I'm not going to be looked down on for being an Aggie, people aren't going to automatically think I'm stupid because I will be an A&M graduate. I love how safe it is for us to be ourselves here and how our silly little things that seem so trivial to everyone else make us so happy. I love that today, my best friend and I got lunch, found a bench under a tree and sat and ate together and watched all of our classmates walk by. I love that Zach's friend proposed to his girlfriend under the Century Tree. I love that we have our engagement pictures from there. I love that we sang the War Hymn at my wedding, I love that we sang it at my cousin's. I love that we'll sing it at Lindsay's wedding, and at Cory's and at Brenton's...



I so love being an AGGIE. Thank God for my school, the friends it has given me, the confidence it has given me, the things I have been exposed to and the pleasures we've all shared together. This last home game feels like a death sentence for me, like after tomorrow, everything that is great about college is over. And that makes me sad.



post signature

0 kind words: