May 12, 2008

why monday nights are our favorite

TV time is our time together. We sit and we watch something that we both (usually) agree on. For the past few months, Mondays have belonged to Dancing with the Stars. I love Kristi and Zach loves Edyta. She wears the smallest costumes known to man. But we're about to kiss Kristi, Mark, Jason, Edyta, Christian (love him!) and Cheryl goodbye and turn our eyes another direction.


American Gladiators returns to TV tonight!
Picture from the official website :)


Zach and I are not big into the shows that everyone else covets- and to this day NONE of Zach's classmates believe that I don't make him watch Gray's Anatomy. No- we're not into 24 or Lost... we prefer good 'ol reality TV- but not stuff like The Bachelor or Survivor. Our favorites are (obviously) American Gladiators, Deadliest Catch (Sig Whoo Whoop!), The Girls Next Door, Dancing with the Stars... you get the idea. We're not big fans of American Idol either, but we were watching religiously to see how my classmate was doing. Oh, and we love The Ultimate Fighter- of course most of you know that Zach's all for Team Rampage, while I prefer to go the winning route and root for Team Forrest. We're up 4-1!


We love American Gladiators, and it really has motivated us in a positive manner. I heard too many people last season who complained about bringing back a 'barbaric' show from a by-gone era. I think that this show is... empowering to an extent. I can't explain it per se, but I think it's exciting to watch people who are beautiful and strong compete in a regulated arena that promotes healthy self esteem. There's not a person on that show, gladiator or competitor who doesn't deserve to be there and who isn't as good as they're guaranteed to be and who isn't trying 150% all of the time. There are no tall poppies on this show (though Crush stands out in the looks/accomplishments department!) and nobody who's got an inflated sense of self.

So tonight, I get to sit down with my husband and enjoy two whole hours of pure entertainment. It's my favorite time with Zach, Gladiators night. So what looks to some like two people watching a totally silly television program, is in fact us spending quality time together and becoming even closer. I just have to hope that Zach's upcoming rotations don't keep him late on Mondays. There's something so utterly lonely about watching alone something you look forward to watching together!





post signature

2 kind words:

Ivy said...

Stefanie! I just found your blog! I love the lay out! Now I get to keep up with you - I just asked your mom yesterday if you were coming back to camp this summer.. Maybe? Anyway, congrats on the blog and I'm a sucker for reality tv too. Troy likes American gladiator so we will see if he can convince me to watch too!

the tichenor family said...

Stefanie, your blog is too cute! Glad you've joined the blogging community!